Monday, August 11, 2008

On hens and eggs and other oddities...

And now... life on the farm.

We have a hen. Actually, we have 10 hens and 1 rooster. We USED to have three roosters, but that's a whole another saga in itself, and I'm afraid if I were to tell it, we'd have PETA (you know, People Eating Tasty Animals???) on our case, so you'll just have to use your imagination and pretend you're Elmer Fudd and it's 4 in the AM and it's not rabbits that you're hunting... (There. Did I give you enough to go on without giving you extra grody details???)

Back to the hen. This particular hen decided that she wanted to start sitting very still for very long periods of time. Really, she disappeared one day, and we didn't see her for days on end. Then, the other day, as I'm coming back from getting the mail, I see her. She's the same color as straw, so she was fairly well camouflaged in the dry grass- except for her BRIGHT RED comb on top of her head! In front of her is three perfectly formed eggs. Underneath her is 18 more eggs. We had NO IDEA that she was sitting on 18 eggs. This WOULD be a good thing if we knew that the eggs were safe to eat. We don't, however, know how long she's been sitting on the eggs, so they're currently sitting in a bowl in the refrigerator - waiting for me to scramble them and feed them to the pigs.

What a waste of perfectly wonderful looking eggs. Now... if only she'd lay more eggs and tell us where she's hiding them.......

No comments: