There's always something interesting about going to Fast and Testimony Meeting in the LDS Church. Little children bear testimony about how much they love their parents; people ramble about the spiritual experience they had visiting the Cysteine Chapel... We've had people get up and bear testimony for someone else... And then there was our ward on Sunday. And I missed it. We had three sick children, so I was home during one of the most interesting Sacrament Meetings in all of church history.
Andrew came home and told me that I would never believe what had happened during church Sunday. You just can't make this stuff up...
In our ward is a family with 8 children. One of their daughters got married yesterday. Apparently, it was a very spiritual experience for her sister's boyfriend. Today, during testimony meeting, he stood up and rambled on and on about how good the temple sealing was, and how great it was he was able to attend... Andrew tuned out. (I think many people did...) until he said the following words; "L, will you marry me?" And then it got very quiet in the chapel... then, "Well?" Finally, from the back of the room came the answer: "Yes." It's now the talk of the ward.
I can think of one other extremely inappropriate place to stage a proposal: SOMEONE ELSE'S WEDDING RECEPTION! Had it been me, I would have stood up and walked out of the room and not answered until the question was asked in a more appropriate and private location. While it makes for an incredibly interesting proposal story, it also goes down in history as one of her most embarrassing moments. (It would mine. Above and beyond wetting your pants in junior high, walking to work naked or anything else that could be deemed embarrassing!)
Sunday School was all about what is and is not appropriate to bear testimony about. Andrew's class was all about the time and place to propose - and these guys are just deacons! (Here's to hoping that they internalize that information...) I'm betting that our next meetings are all about testimony... Hope your meetings were this interesting!!!
FYI: The parents moved out of the ward... (a planned event BEFORE the fiasco at church), the entire family left after sacrament meeting was over. Not sure if that was planned or not... it certainly became planned after the proposal! Can't say as I blame them, either.
Monday, September 06, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
that's so crazy. that's kind of like in my sis-in-law's ward when, during testimony meeting in relief society, a new sister took it upon herself to explain her husband's past personal (very personal) problems. nothing like disgracing your husband to your new ward! my sis-in-law said that was pretty awkward.
Wow...has to be one in every ward. We had a guy last week get up and tell our ward we were SLACKING! He is no longer allowed on the stand...John has been named guard of the stand...LOL!
Post a Comment