Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Around Parts of the Midwest in less than 6 days.

And yes, we're tired. Andrew's friend Chris got married, and we went to the wedding. Before hand, we decided to make a quick trip to Utah so that we could go to the Salt Lake Temple.

After much deliberation, comfort won out over fuel mileage, and we decided to pack the children and what amounts to half of their worldly belongings in the truck, and 1 in the AM on Wednesday morning, we drove out of our driveway. At 6 in the PM, we arrived at our destination: Justin and Melissa's house in Tooele. And at 6:05 in the PM, they left for their meetings. Leaving us with their wonderful bounty of Chicken Patties for Chicken Sandwiches. Yum. Then, it was letting Savannah and Margaret play with Legos until "Uncle Bubba" came home, because as Savannah said, "I can't have come all this way to NOT see Uncle Bubba and Aunt Melissa." LeGrand was more interested in what Bruce was doing. Some rousing games of Hide and Seek with Bruce (the monstrous German Shephard) later, and Uncle Bubba got the sleeping beds out for the girls... needless to say, it was late when we went to bed.

Thursday, Justin and Melissa went to work and we took the girls and LeGrand to Salt Lake to see the Church History Museum. We were ALL impressed by the Tabernacle (or Tabelnacker, however you prefer to say it...) display. The girls especially liked the "I am a Child of God" display. Then, it was to lunch and dropping the children off at yet another relative's house where Savannah learned to play Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater on their piano, and Margaret proceeded to show them how great an appetite she had. LeGrand just had to have his clothes washed... again. Andrew and I went to the Temple where we had a MARVELOUS time. The SL Temple is absolutely gorgeous, and it was a unique experience for us. One that we won't soon forget. (And in case anyone wonders, the sessions start on the hour. If you're there at 3:10, you wait until 4...) Then, after we were already late getting back to dinner with Justin, Melissa, Ian and Christen, we FINALLY got back to the dwelling in Tooele sometime around 8:30 PM. (Dinner was scheduled for 6:30... I'm still sorry, guys...) Melissa made some DIVINE Taco Soup (which I promptly burnt my tongue on, ruining the flavor of ANY food for the remainder of the trip), and we enjoyed a visit. Andrew wants to play the game you have where people get the shock of their lives, Justin... Savannah doesn't.

Thursday night found us in Logan, UT for the night, and then up on Friday morning to go shooting with Andrew's Uncle, "Brute". (Margaret speak for Bruce). That all fun and games done, we had lunch at Costa Vida (if you've ever been to Cafe Rio, you've been to Costa Vida... but that's another story), then left to go to the wedding reception in Idaho Falls. After the reception, we headed North to Rigby, Id, where we stayed with cousins of a cousin. And no, that wasn't at all awkward. (No sarcasm at all, by the way.) Come to find out, we had a lot in common with the cousin's cousin, and thoroughly enjoyed their hospitality. Enjoyed it so much so that we were up talking with Bob and Tasha until 2 in the AM!

Up on Saturday to attend the wedding in Idaho Falls (yes, it's the new trend to have the reception and then the wedding...), then the luncheon, and then down to Whitney to visit with some dear friends, our former neighbors. It was a good visit.

Saturday night we were back in Logan with Ethan and Shannon, then up Sunday to get ready for church and Easter service... after church, the drive home. We pulled into the driveway at 6 AM Monday morning, put everyone into their own beds, and proceeded to sleep for most of the rest of the day.

Today, I'm doing laundry and finally getting the house back together. I need a vacation from the vacation. I'll post pictures from another day later. I didn't take the camera on this trip.

4 comments:

The Fun Carter Family said...

Sounds like fun! I miss UT. I use to go to the SLC temple every chance I got when I was at BYU. One of the most memorable sessions I had was at that temple.

Denise said...

It sounds like a whirlwind of a trip, but one with good memories. Bob and Tasha are great! I love spending time at their house. Denise

Lillie said...

I would be insulted that you guys were so close and didn't stop by, but, it sounds like it was a crazy busy trip, so, I'll let you off the hook till next time. Very gracious of me, I know.

Code Yellow Mom said...

There is always a need for a vacation from the vacation - I think there is no such thing as vacation for a mom - it's just taking the show on the road! This sounds like a fun trip, though.