It all started with the birthday party. I am NOT a birthday party person. We just haven't really ever done them. This year, however, we have had parties for all the children, and Savannah was the last birthday this year to get a party.
I have been planning this party all year. In my head. It went off nearly as I had planned! (The only exceptions being that I didn't decorate like I planned in my head to do.)
Savannah's Birthday Party was a "Late-Over, Make-Over" party - going from 7 - 11 p.m. It included homemade pizzas, a movie (Ella Enchanted), and make-overs for Savannah and all of her friends. Andrew was in charge of the pizzas, and the girls were thrilled! One of my dear friends here in Salem has quite a bit of experience with make-up, and she consented to come teach the girls the proper application of make-up of all sorts, even though Savannah's make-up use will be minimal!
It was amazing to me to see the transformation of the girls. From the most eager - to the least eager... the greatest transformation was that of the least eager, a young woman who was extremely reluctant to wear make-up! Thankfully, the make-up applied to all of the girls was tasteful and minimally done, and the girls hardly looked as though they had been made-up.
The one thing I did NOT expect at this party was comments about boys. Andrew and I know that Savannah has a young man that she thinks is handsome (and he is!), but we didn't think that Savannah's friends would know about that and say something about it! "Oooo, Savannah, S****** is sure to notice you now!" "And so will B*****!" And then the talk turned from Savannah, to all the other girls discussing who they thought was handsome and why. I'm not ready for this yet.
![]() |
| All the girls gathered to see exactly how to apply makeup... |
![]() |
| Savannah, all finished... a little make-up! |
![]() |
| Posing for the camera! Her friends all told her that she was certainly going to catch the eye of one of the boys from church! (or two or three names may have come up....) |
![]() |
| Margaret was allowed to stay up for the party, too! She had a VERY LITTLE bit of make-up... that wore off within minutes. |
![]() |
| All Savannah's friends: L-R from the back, ending with Savannah: Ellie Stuart, Macey Smith, Lucy Knight, Preslee Sellers, McKenna Wonderling and Savannah |
Saturday - her actual birthday - was (as Savannah said) "the greatest day ever!" She went shopping with Grandma and Grandpa Stahr, and came home with multiple new outfits. Dinner was fun with Chicken Parmesan and Italian Cream Sodas (a new family favorite...) - ending with an ice-cream cake from Safeway.
Sunday, Savannah was recognized in church as the newest young woman in our ward, she sang in a trio with Margaret (who cried through the whole thing because of nerves), and another of Margaret's friends, and went to her first Young Women's meeting. After church, ALL of her new classmates and advisors and personal progress coach came to our house to welcome Savannah to Beehives. Needless to say, she has been super excited to be a beehive. She's counting hours until her first official activity. I was told to get my shoes on at noon today... I think we have a few more hours before the activity!
I sure am pleased with the young woman she is becoming. We have our differences, but Savannah is a wonderful young woman, and I was super proud of her reaction and treatment of Margaret on Sunday when Margaret was having troubles. They may yet amaze me and truly become best friends!
So... Happy Birthday, Savannah! May 12 be an excellent year for you! You are certainly loved.
![]() |
| The cake. "I blew them all out with one breath! And there were a LOT of candles!!!" |






1 comment:
I love the "late-over" idea. We chose not to do slumber parties with our kids, so I love the idea. Being 12 is pretty special! What a sweet yw she's grown up to be!
Post a Comment