Friday, September 05, 2008

What is this strange fascination???

With eggs? Seriously. I wonder if there's something wrong with me that I get so excited to find eggs out with our hens... The real excitement started last week when I watched a hen lay an egg. After watching that - I SHOULD have been turned off of eating eggs. Instead, I wonder if that hen feels pain... And then came the anger at the chicken who was EATING the eggs... (she's going to be chicken pot pie soon...) And now, it's just pure enjoyment that we can go out to the hen house (they're no longer free range chickens... the mess was too much to handle - they dug out the flower beds (one chore I don't have to do), they pooped on the porch, they scratched all of the dirt OUT of the flower beds and on to the driveway... and they chased the cats.) and find eggs. Our cannibalistic hen is in solitary confinement down at someone else's house. She's currently awaiting execution. That's Andrew's job. I don't chop the heads off of chickens - no matter how fun it is to see them run around without their little heads...

Yesterday, I gathered 5 eggs. And today, I gathered another 5 eggs. The day is still young. And I know we have some late layers. The hope is that we'll have 9 eggs per day. What we're going to do with that many, I don't know. There are some good cakes that call for a bazillion eggs... maybe I'll have to do more baking. At any rate - this strange fascination may have something to do with my desire to be more self sufficient - and eggs are just one more step...

I may have to award kudos to the one who can give me the best recipe using the most eggs... since I have 5 dozen that I purchased just last week!!! So... send your best! I, too, will search my own recipe archives for a great recipe. If I find one that's share worthy, I'll post it.

1 comment:

Lillie said...

Hey! We're averaging 6-7 eggs a day, so I'm in the market for BIG egg recipes too. I have a good pound cake recipe, and my favorite is a batch and 1/2 of hootennannies sp? that uses 9 eggs! Can you believe my little family of 5 (only 4 really) can eat almost all of it.