Friday, June 13, 2008

The dreaded days of summer...

Are finally here. Not that the weather has been dreaded, but Savannah was gloomier than Eeyore yesterday when I picked her up from school because she is all finished for the school year! I have NEVER seen a kid who didn't want to school to end - I think it's going to take some time for Savannah (and me) to adjust.

So we started the day by setting down some ground rules.
  1. If it's sunny outside, the kids play outside ALL DAY LONG.
  2. If it's rainy, there will be a craft or other project to do in the house.
  3. There will be chores to do during the summer... bummer, I know, but some things never change.
  4. Just because school is out, reading time doesn't end...
  5. There will be no fighting with each other.

That final one ought to be interesting to see how it works - since Savannah and Margaret haven't had one-on-one all day time except on the weekends for a long time... but, I did let Savannah and Margaret know that should they choose to ignore the rules, a strict and long nap time would be enforced. (What they don't know, is that nap time is for me.......)

At any rate, I'm looking forward to a good summer with the girls (and whomever else we decide to add to the family). Andrew and I would like to go camping with the children, and there are a ton of other things to do with the girls that I would like to do - like picking strawberries to make jam and picking peaches to can and you name it... we'll probably think about doing it - except bungee jumping. Or sky diving... I don't know why ANYONE would jump out of a perfectly good airplane...

And now, I'm going to finish cleaning the house, since sitting for any period of time makes my feet swell up like balloons...

No comments: